Shakes & Fidget – Endearing Comic Book Roleplaying Game
Browser Roleplaying Game – In the free-to-play browser MMORPG Shakes & Fidget, you take the role of a brave adventurer journeying through a lovingly crafted animated comic book world. The comic book browser game, developed by Playa Games, has had an impressive fan base since its release, with currently 20 million players worldwide, as well as winning several prizes. But will this game impress even the most veteran of gamers? We tested it out for you…
Official Trailer of Shakes & Fidget
Shakes & Fidgets simply requires you to register for free before you can delve straight into the browser roleplaying fun. We’ve listed and summarised the most important features for all newcomers to Shakes & Fidget below:
Character Creation and Village Life
In typical roleplaying game fashion, you’ll need to decide on a race and a class when you start the game as a new player. In this free-to-play MMORPG browser game, you can choose between 8 different races with up to 3 different classes. In regards to the races, you’ll have the choice between Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Orcs, Dark-Elves, Goblins and Demons. The classes consist of Warrior, Scout and Mage. Both race and class will decide on your character’s attributes making each character unique. After you choose your character, you’ll find yourself back on the main menu, which represents a small city. You’ll find buildings such as the Tavern, Arena and Marketplace, as well as anything else you could expect to discover.
Missions, Quests and Items
You’ll want to start your journey in the tavern. You’ll be able to accept new jobs and missions in order to collect your first experience points. You’ll also earn money, which you can then use to invest in weapons, armour, potions and other items for your inventory. Of course, you won’t just be able to complete endless amounts of quests in Shakes & Fidgets. Each minute of questing will cost you a point from your adventure bar. You start off the day with one hundred. If you’ve used up your points for the day, you have the option of ‘resting’ to gain new points and thus meaning you can complete even more missions and quests. But you’ll need mushrooms to do this and these are hard to come by. You’re only ever able to reach a maximum of 300 points on your adventure bar throughout the course of one day, which equates to around 5 hours of questing time.
Competition and Teamplay
As soon as your character has levelled up a little bit and has its own weapon, armour and bonus items, you’re then able to spend some time in the arena. This is where you’ll fight against real life opponents in exciting duels for the chance of winning money and fame. This fame doesn’t just help to massage your ego, but will also help you to climb the leader board. Asides from arena battles and duels against other players, you can of course join a guild, or form your own, providing you have enough money to do so. A guild has their own building which every guild member can invest in and this helps you gain financial and experience bonuses. This game is filled with a pile of other adventure hungry players waiting for you to get to know them.
- Lovingly Crafted Graphics: Shakes & Fidget has convinced millions of players with its lovingly crafted graphics packed into a funny and exciting game story
- Long-Term Fun: Diverse missions, quests and dungeons, as well as extensive guild features, mean you won’t get bored very easily
- Large Selection: Collect a countless number of weapons, armour, potions and mounts and make your hero invincible
- Teamplay Features: A clever guild and bonus system ensure a great deal of fun for those in big and small teams
- Free: The browser roleplaying game Shakes & Fidget is a free-to-play roleplaying game
Tips and Tricks
- Dungeons: Once you hit level 10, you’ll be able to start finding dungeon keys as quest rewards. In every dungeon, you’ll find 10 enemies waiting for you. They are quite difficult to defeat but once you do, you’ll be rewarded both with experience points and epic items
- Potions: You can kit out your character with 3 potions at any one time. There are different potions, which will increase various abilities a certain amount for 3 days at a time (particularly important during guild battles / arena / dungeons)
- Mounts: You’ll definitely want to get a mount. These are really worth the investment and a 30% mount will only cost you 1 mushroom and a couple of gold pieces every 14 days
- Guild: You should join a guild as fast as possible to reap all the benefits from an early stage
The Bottom Line
The browser roleplaying game Shakes & Fidget really delivers a lovingly crafted selection of missions and story mode all brought together with funny comic book graphics. Asides from the general missions with other players and guild battles, you can fight for hours against computer generated opponents. Shakes & Fidget has already been distinguished countless times. These awards include the German Developer Prize 2009 for ‘Best Browser Game 2009,’ as well as the BÄM! Award 2010 for ‘Best Browser Game’ and the GameStar ‘Game of the Year 2010’ award. We think Shakes & Fidget is an endearing and amusing browser roleplaying game, which constantly offers regular new challenges as more updates get released.